Preparing for your telecounseling appointment.
What to Expect
You can use your mobile device, tablet, laptop, or audio/video-enabled desktop computer to communicate with your genetic counselor. Prior to your appointment, you will receive a text message or a phone call with instructions for setting up your device. You may also wish to refer to this web page for detailed instructions and common troubleshooting scenarios. Once you have connected to the session, your counselor will join you at the scheduled appointment time. If you are disconnected at any point during the appointment, you may use the session link you received earlier to reconnect. Either you or your counselor can choose to end the session at the end of the appointment.
iPhone, iPad, and Android
1) Download Skype for iOS or Android
2) Once Skype is installed, click or tap on the link that was sent to you via text message to connect to your counseling session.
3) If you have not received a message at least 15 minutes prior to your telecounseling appointment call us at 1-888-4-GENETIC (Option 4) to receive a link over the phone.
Windows, Macintosh, and Linux
1) Open your web browser (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge) and go to the link that was sent to you via text message.
2) If you have not received a message at least 15 minutes prior to your telecounseling appointment call us at 1-888-4-GENETIC (Option 4) to receive a link over the phone.
Enabling Your Camera and Microphone (iOS, Android)
1) Ensure that you have joined the counseling session in the Skype app.
2) Tap the icon in the app to un-mute your microphone
2) Tap the icon in the app to activate your camera
Enabling Your Camera and Microphone (Web Browser)
1) Ensure that you have entered the correct web address into your browser.
2) Open the settings panel and choose the microphone and camera devices you wish to use. If you are unsure which devices to choose, leave both of these options set to “Default”.
3) During the session, you may also click the and icons to enable or disable your microphone and camera.
Common Troubleshooting Scenarios
- Ensure that you clicked or tapped on the correct web address to join the session.
- If you have joined the session earlier than the scheduled appointment time, the counselor may not be ready yet. If this is the case, your counselor will automatically join you at the scheduled appointment time.
- A reliable connection is needed to send audio and video to your device. While a telecounseling session can be conducted via your cellular network, a WiFi or Ethernet connection is preferred.
- If you continue to experience connection issues, please close the “Skype” app or your web browser and attempt to connect to the session again.
- Ensure that your microphone is not muted and that your camera is activated. Follow the “Enabling Your Camera and Microphone” instructions listed above.
- The correct microphone and/or camera device may not be selected. Open the settings panel to reveal the Audio Options. Choose the correct microphone and camera.
- Restart the “Skype” app or your web browser.
- The link used to join the session may be wrong. Exit “Skype” then click or tap on the session link you received earlier.
- Verify the scheduled appointment time. If you join the session earlier or significantly later than the scheduled time, the session will no longer be valid.
- If you continue to experience this issue, please call us at 1-888-4-GENETIC (Option 4) to request a new link.